MSIH Alumni Community
Notable MSIH Alumni
Shaanan Meyerstein, M.D., M.P.H., F.A.A.P. (2010)
General Pediatrician, ER, Children’s National Medical Center
- Provides medical consultation and oversight to ensure delivery of appropriate health care services as medical officer for the Department of Health and Human Services Unaccompanied Children’s program within the Administration for Children and Families’ Office of Refugee Resettlement
- Became a commissioned officer with the rank of lieutenant commander in the United States Public Health Service
- Spent a year in Botswana with the Baylor International Pediatric HIV Initiative
Brita Almog, M.D., M.A. (2007)
Medical Director and General Pediatrician, San Mateo Medical Center
- Oversees the work of adult and pediatric primary care and specialty providers at San Mateo Medical Center, a public health delivery system that provides care to the vulnerable, underserved and uninsured in San Mateo County, part of the San Francisco metropolitan area
- Provides pediatric in-patient care
Lt. Col. Brian H. Neese (2005)
Commander, 628th Medical Operations Squadron, Joint Base Charleston, South Carolina
- Supervises clinical and administrative operations and leads 78 medical personnel in delivery of comprehensive health care services to more than 24,500 beneficiaries
- Worked as international health specialist team division chief to provide strategy development and operational planning for 31 countries in Latin America
- Collaborated with local organizations to start a free health clinic for working, uninsured Hispanics
- Completed a combat tour with the U.S. Army’s Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force Clinic in Iraq
- Went on a humanitarian mission to the Dominican Republic, rendering care to underserved populations
Noele Nelson, M.D., Ph.D., M.P.H. (2004)
Team Lead, Clinical Interventions and DVH Vaccine Lead, Global Hepatitis Activities, Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Contributes to CDC’s overseas global health initiatives, most recently working in Sierra Leone on the STRIVE Ebola vaccine trial
- Leads work group for hepatitis vaccines on the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices
- Practices at the DeKalb County Board of Health Refugee Pediatric Clinic
- Worked on the Georgetown University Medical Center (GUMC) faculty as a research assistant professor and attending physician
- Was co-principal investigator of a government-sponsored biosurveillance project at GUMC
LaShawn Worsley-McIver, M.D., M.P.H. (2004)
Interim Chief Advocacy Officer, American Diabetes Association
- Promotes access to care and advocates for policy initiatives that focus on the prevention and treatment of diabetes and other chronic diseases
- Partners with the American Heart Association, American Cancer Society and other nonprofit, health-centered organizations to establish standards of care and reduce health inequities among cultural groups in the United States
- Liaises with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Minority Health, which seeks to reduce health disparities among racial and ethnic minorities
- Performed community-based work in Baltimore, Maryland, as part of her master’s degree in public health at John Hopkins University
- Completed a policy fellowship at the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation’s Center for Policy Analysis and Research, where her studies focused on the impact of HIV and AIDS on African-Americans
Ryan W. Carroll, M.D., M.P.H. (2002)
Uganda Program Director, Global Health Collaborative, Division of Global Health and Attending Physician, Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH)
- Works in Uganda, overseeing 15 research projects, 14 departmental partnership development programs and the hosting of over 150 research and development visitors per year, as well as maintaining a robust in-country safety and security program
- Holds a faculty position in Pediatric Critical Care Medicine and Global Health at MGH
- Serves as an attending physician in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at MGH
- Teaches pediatrics at Harvard Medical School
- Serves as a medical consultant for MGH’s Consortium for Affordable Medical Technology (CAMTech), assisting in the design of medical devices for low- and middle-income countries
Recent Alumni Fellowships
- Yale University School of Medicine
- Yale University School of Medicine (Neurosurgical Anesthesiology)
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- Vanderbilt University Institute for Global Health, Haiti
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Family Medicine and Acupuncture)
- University of Rochester
- Mount Sinai Medical Center
- New York University
- Southwestern Medical Center
- SUNY Downstate Medical Center
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (Gastroenterology and Nutrition)
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (Pain and Palliative Care)
- Brown University Alpert Medical School (Pulmonary and Critical Care)
- Center for Policy Analysis and Research (Infectious Disease, HIV and AIDS)
- Harbor-UCLA Medical Center (Maternal and Fetal Medicine)
- Henry Ford Health System (Pulmonary and Critical Care)
- Lenox Hill Hospital (Cardiology)
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (Adult and Pediatric Pain Management and Palliative Care)
- Montefiore Medical Center (Critical Care Medicine)
- Montefiore Medical Center (Geriatrics)
- Mount Sinai Medical Center (Geriatrics)
- National Jewish Health Center (Allergy and Immunology)
- New York University (Endocrinology)
- New York University (Rheumatology)
- Oregon Health and Science University (Integrative Medicine)
- St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital (Cardiology)
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Bureau of Medicine and Dentistry (Public Health)
- UCLA (Rheumatology)
- University Hospital of Charlottesville (Cardiology)
- University of Michigan Medical Center (Rheumatology)
- University of Washington (Informatics)
- University of Washington Swedish Medical Center (Geriatrics)
- Virginia Commonwealth University (Nephrology)
- Weill Cornell University Medical Center (Geriatrics)
- Yale University School of Medicine (Investigative Medicine)
- Yale University School of Medicine (Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholar)
- Duke University (OB/GYN Global Health)
- Good Samaritan Hospital (Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery)
- Harvard Medical School Massachusetts General Hospital (Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility)
- Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
- St. Elizabeth Medical Center (Family Medicine and Surgical Obstetrics)
- University of Indiana School of Medicine’s Clarian Methodist Hospital (Urology and Gynecology)
- Washington University (Family Planning)
- Children’s Hospital of Denver (Adolescent Medicine)
- Children’s Hospital of Montefiore (Pediatric Infectious Disease)
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (Pediatric Education and Research)
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (Pediatric Infectious Disease)
- Cleveland Clinic (Neurocritical Care)
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine (Pediatric Infectious Disease)
- Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine (Pediatric Critical Care)
- Schneider Children’s Hospital (NICU)
- SUNY Downstate Medical Center (Pediatrics GI)
- University Hospitals Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital (Pediatric Infectious Disease)
- University of Florida at Jacksonville (Pediatric Endocrinology)
- Bristol-Meyers Squibb (Public Psychiatry)
- Columbia University Center for Psychoanalytic Training (Psychiatric Epidemiology)
- NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital of Columbia and Cornell
- NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital of Columbia and Cornell (Child and Adolescent Psychiatry)
- Tufts Medical Center (Child and Adolescent Psychiatry)
- University of New Mexico (Child and Adolescent Psychiatry)
- University of Rochester (Child and Adolescent Psychiatry)
- University of Miami Miller School of Medicine (Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery)
- University of Pennsylvania (Trauma, Critical Care and Emergency Surgery)
More Alumni Resources
- Lindau ST, Abramsohn E, Gosch K, Wroblewski K, Spatz ES, Chan PS, Spertus J, Krumholz HM. Patterns and loss of sexual activity in the year following hospitalization for acute myocardial infarction (a United States national multisite observational study). Am J Cardiol. 2012;109(10):1439-44.
- Orkaby AR, Chen B, Iliaki EF, Sulis CA, Oates DJ. A curious case of lactobacillus casei in a prosthetic joint: Was it the yogurt? J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012 Jun;60(6):1177-8.
- Almog, B, Azem F, Kapustiansky R, Azolai J, Wagman I, Levin I, Hauser R, Pauzner D, Lessing JB, Amit A, Gamzu R. Intrafollicular and serum levels of leptin during in vitro fertilization cycles: Comparison between the effects of rocombinant follicle-stimulating hormones and human menopausal gonadotrophin. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2011;27(9):666-8.
- Davis RG, Kamanga A, Castillo-Salgado C, Chime N, Mharakurwa S, Shiff C. Early detection of malaria foci for targeted interventions in endemic southern Zambia. Malaria Journal. 2011;10:260.
- Fischer, N, Burris Wisecarver C, Williams, D. VEGF in Clinical Trials and Practice. Advanced Ocular Care. 2011;(4):39-42.
- Kotlyar S, Larkin GL, Moore CL, D’Onofrio G. S100b immunoassay: An assessment of diagnostic utility in minor head trauma. J Emerg Med. 2011;41(3):285-93.
- Sandhu, G, Ranade A, Mankal P, Herlitz LC, Jones J, Correll S. Acute kidney injury in the setting of AIDS, bland urine sediment, minimal proteinuria and normal-sized kidneys: A presentation of renal lymphoma. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2011;26(2):747-51.
- Black C, Cold C, Unwala D. Cholesterol embolization to the bladder in the setting of transient ischemic attack and hematochezia: An unusual presentation of cholesterol embolization syndrome. Urology. 2010;76(4):791-793.
- Carroll RW, Wainwright MS, Kim KY, Kidambi T, Gomez ND, Taylor T, Haldar K. A rapid murine coma and behavior scale for quantitative assessment of murine cerebral malaria. PLoS One. 2010;5(10):e13124.
- Hatzenbuehler L, Zaidi AK, Sundar S, Sultana S, Abbasi F, Rizvi A, Darmstadt GL. Validity of neonatal jaundice evaluation by primary health care workers and physicians in Karachi, Pakistan. Journal of Perinatology. 2010;30(9):616-21.
- Kotlyar S. Recommendations for control of East African sleeping sickness in Uganda. Journal of Global Infectious Disease. 2010;2(1):43-8.
- Leffler DA, Kheraj R, Garud S, Neeman N, Nathanson LA, Kelly CP, Sawhney M, Landon B, Doyle R, Rosenberg S, Aronson M. The incidence and cost of unexpected hospital use after scheduled outpatient endoscopy. Arch Intern Med. 2010;170(19):1752-7.
- Levine, BH, Najara JE. Child and adolescent emergency psychiatry. Clinical Manual of Emergency.
- Michetti CP, Sakran JV, Grabowski JG, Thompson EV, Bennett K, Fakhry SM. Physical examination is a poor screening test for abdominal-pelvic injury in adult blunt trauma patients. Journal of Surg. Res. 2010;159(1):456-61.
- Shiloh AL, Eisen LA, Savel RH. Selective decontamination of the digestive tract: What outcomes matter? Critical Care Medicine. 2010;38(5):1386-7.
- Stolk MJ, King AL, Massey HD. Renal allograft loss due to overwhelming invasive candida infection. Kidney Int. 2010;77(80):746.
- Temel JS, Greer JA, Muzikansky A, Gallagher E, Admane S, Jackson V, Dahlin C, Blinderman CD, Jacobsen J, Pirl W, BIllings JA, Lynch T. Early palliative care for patients with metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer. New England Journal of Medicine. 2010;363:733-742.
- Watson AJ, Bergman H, Williams CM, Kvedar J. A randomized trial to evaluate the efficacy of online follow-up visits in the management of acne. Arch Dermatol. 2010;146(4):406-411.
- Asher GN, Coeytaux RR, Chen W, Reilly AC, Loh YL, Harper TC. Acupuncture to initiate labor (Acumoms2): A randomized, sham-controlled clinical trial. Journal of Maternal and Fetal Neonatal Medicine. 2009;22(10):843-8.
- Crandall JP, Polsky S, Howard AA, Perrault L, Bray GA, Barrett-Connor E, Brown-Friday J, Whittington T, Foo S, Ma Y, Edelstein SL. Alcohol consumption and diabetes risk in the Diabetes Prevention Program. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2009;90(3):595-601.
- Hartley DM, Nelson NP, Perencevich EN. Antiviral drugs for treatment of patients infected with pandemic (H1N1) 2009 virus. Emergent Infectious Disease. 2009;15(11):1851-2.
- Hauck FR, Neese B, Panchal AS, El-Amin W. Review of latent TB infection. American Family Physician. 2009;79(10):845-6.
- Greenberg D, Hoffman S, Leibovitz E, Dagan R. Acute otitis media in children: Association with day care centers — antibacterial resistance, treatment and prevention. Pediatric Drugs. 2008;10(2):75-83.
- Jiji RS, Michaels AD. Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) causing pulmonary emboli during coronary intervention. Catheter Cardiovascular Intervention. 2008;72(6):819-22.
- Krous H, Chadwick A, Haas E, Breisch E, Masoumi H. Congenital cerebellar malignant rhabdoid tumor in an infant with junctional epidermolysis bullosa. Pediatric Development Pathology. 2007;10(6):481-6.
- Patel MM, Janssen AP, Tafdif RR, Herring M, Parashar UD. A qualitative assessment of factors influencing acceptance of a new rotavirus vaccine among health care providers and consumers. BMC Pediatrics. 2007;7:32.
- Wachsman AM, Hoffer EK, Forauer AR, Silas AM, Gemery JM. Tension pneumothorax after placement of a tunneled pleural drainage catheter in a patient with recurrent malignant pleural effusions. Cardiovascular Interventional Radiology. 2007;30(3):531-3.
Please submit your requests in writing and allow one month for normal processing (requests for multiple documents may require additional time). Expedited processing is available.