- Chair of Psychiatry at the Institute of Living (IOL)
- Chief of Psychiatry at Hartford Hospital under the Hartford Healthcare Behavioral Health Network in Connecticut
Dr. Javeed Sukhera
Dr. Javeed Sukhera is the Chair of Psychiatry at the Institute of Living (IOL), and Chief of Psychiatry at Hartford Hospital under the Hartford Healthcare Behavioral Health Network in Connecticut. In his role as Chair/Chief, Dr. Sukhera advances the IOL’s clinical, research, and educational mission, including training programs in psychiatry, psychology, social work, and nursing, as well as three endowed research centers. Dr. Sukhera is looking forward to developing a new research center focused on racial trauma.
Previously, Dr. Sukhera was an assistant professor of psychiatry and pediatrics at the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry at Western University in London, Ontario, Canada where he was also Senior Designate Physician Lead for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at London Health Sciences Centre.
Dr. Sukhera is an internationally-recognized health professions education researcher and thought leader. He has participated on several committees and councils at local, national, and international levels. He is a Past President of the Ontario Psychiatric Association and has served on the London Police Services Board from 2018-21, including serving as Board Chair from 2020-21. He has also served on the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)’s Board of Directors and is currently on the AAMC’s Research in Medical Education Committee and a member of the Group on Educational Affairs.
Dr. Sukhera has been a guest lecturer on various topics at MSIH, including presenting a lecture entitled Cognitive Bias.
- Unconscious bias
- Equity and social justice at an individual and organizational level
- Racism trauma
- Novel approaches to addressing stigma and bias among health professionals
Education and Training
- BSc, University of Toronto
- M.D., Medical School for International Health at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
- Residency, University of Rochester
- Fellowship in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Rochester
- Ph.D., Maastricht University, Health Professions Education